Total Pageviews

Tuesday 13 August 2013

Stress

Your emotions have a massive effect on your diabetes. When you are feeling worried, stressed, depressed or excited about something this can make you levels high. I also find that if I have fallen out with my friend, had a disagreement with someone, had a test at school or had relationship problems, this causes my levels to be high. When my levels become high I get really stressed over stupid things and I also get annoyed with people more easily, generally it makes me feel unhappy and unwell when my levels are high.

Last year in August, I was getting ready to go on holiday to America for 18 days. While we were in America we were going to go to California, Hollywood, Disneyworld, Las Vegas, LA and more places. I was so excited about going, I couldn't wait! The only thing that was worrying me was going to the airport with all of diabetic supplies and being allowed to take it all with us on the plane. My mum had got a letter from the hospital saying that I was allowed to take it all on the plane with me but I was still worried about that. At the same time I was really excited because I had never been to America before. They let us take all of my diabetic supplies on the plane which made me feel happier. When we were sitting on the plane I thought I would do my blood count before we took off. My levels were running high so I gave myself some insulin. My levels were high because I was so excited that I was going to America for the first time.

Also when I was in year 9 we had loads of tests that were coming up, so I was really stressed about it. I knew my levels were going to be really high and that it would affect how well I did in the tests because when my levels are high I struggle to concentrate, all I want to do is lay down and do nothing. The thing was I needed to do well in these test because the results we got on the tests were going to be our end of year grades. So the morning before the tests I put a temp basal of 120% on my pump and my levels weren't high throughout the tests and I got really good grades too!!

When your levels are running high your blood is a lot thicker because there is a lot of sugar in it. This means that your body uses more energy to makes your blood pump around your body. The more energy your body uses the harder it is for you to concentrate and it makes you feel unwell. Also it's not good for you if your levels are always high because your blood needs to be able to pump around your body easily so that the blood can get to every limb in your body. So if your levels are running high or you know why are going to run high because you have a test or something like that please give yourself insulin. If you are on a pump set up a temp basal so that you are getting more insulin every hour.

Everyone's emotions make their diabetes a lot harder to control but you are stronger than you think and you will get through times like this I promise.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment