Total Pageviews

Sunday 11 August 2013

Primary school

When I was younger and was at primary school I found being diabetic really hard. This was because no one else was diabetic in my school. This made me feel really different compared to everyone else. No one else had to do their blood count or have to inject before they ate. It was really hard for me to understand at such a young age why I had to do my blood count and inject every day and no one else I knew had to.

When I was 6 years old , in year 1 at primary school, I found it really hard and upsetting because some people at my primary school decided they didn't like me because I have diabetes. One day when I was in year 1 I was lining up outside with my class waiting for the teacher to let us inside. While I was waiting three people in my class came up to me and said "I don't want to be friends with you because you're diabetic" then they just walked off. I had no idea what to do, it wasn't my fault I was diabetic and now no wants to be my friend. They upset me so much. I didn't tell the teacher what they had said to me because she wouldn't have been able to do anything about it. When I got home I went to room and cried about what they had said to me, I wished I wasn't diabetic. I told my mum about what had happened and she wasn't happy, so she rang the school and told them what had happened. The next day at school my teacher spoke to the three people who said they didn't want to be friends with me. They came up to me and said they were really sorry. After that they were really nice to me and never said they didn't want to be friends with me again.

When I was in primary school I found the teachers didn't take my diabetes on bored and didn't think it was as serious as it was, until this happened. When I was in year 4 I felt really shaky and unwell so I asked my teacher if I could do my blood count and they said no. So I got on with the rest of my work. I could feel that my levels were getting lower and lower, I needed to do my blood count. I told the teacher that I didn't feel well and I need to do my levels, she told me to go to the medical room but she wouldn't let me take my blood count with me. When I got to the medical room they rang my mum and my mum asked what my blood count was and they said that I hadn't done my blood count. So I went an did my blood count and my levels were really really low, My mum came and picked me up from school and took me home. When I got home we couldn't get my levels up and I had been low for 3 hours, so I had to go to hospital and I got admitted on to a ward. My mum rang up the school and told them what had happened and told them that they should have let me do my blood count when I asked to. After me ending up in hospital because my teacher wouldn't let me do my blood count, the school took my diabetes more seriously and they always let me do my blood count when I asked to.

Now I am at collage I am a lot more independent and I find being diabetic a lot easier. This is because I am used to have diabetes and its going to be a part of me for the rest of my life so I have learnt to be proud of being diabetic. Also it really helps as I have some amazing friends who are always there for me and help me a lot with my diabetes and they find my diabetes really interesting. One of my friends wanted to do my blood count because she had never done it before so I let her do my blood count. It really helps when you have such amazing friend to help you with everything, it makes it a bit easier.

If you ever want someone to talk to or need any help please message me on Facebook or comment below. Everyone has ups and downs with diabetes but I promise you will sort it out because you are a lot stronger then you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment