Total Pageviews

Saturday 10 August 2013

Welcome

Hi my name is Laura and I am 16 years old. I was diagnosed with type one diabetes when I was 4 years old on 31st December 2002. I was on injections for 5 years and I have been on a insulin pump for 8 years now.

On the 31st of December, I became really ill and unwell, I was drinking a lot more then I usually did and going to the toilet a lot more. My mum took me to the doctors because she didn't know why I was so ill. The doctors did some tests on me and said that I had to be taken to the hospital. My mum got told we couldn't wait for an ambulance, so my mum drove me straight to the hospital. When we got to the hospital I was nearly going in to a coma so I got put on an IV drip and they sorted out my levels. The doctor told my mum I had type one diabetes, me and my mum had no idea what diabetes was so I had to stay in hospital over a week so that we could learn all about what we had to do and to make sure I was well enough to go home. I was only 4 years old when I was diagnosed so I cant remember all of this happening, my mum told me what happened when I was diagnosed diabetic.

 At first it was a massive shock when I was first diagnosed but I have got used to it. I sometimes have bad day when I wish I wasn't diabetic but I have learnt to look at the positives of being diabetic, it could be a lot worse and to all you who have just been diagnosed.

No comments:

Post a Comment