Total Pageviews

Thursday 15 August 2013

Changing my line

I was diagnosed type one diabetic when I was 4 years old and I was on injections for 4 years and then I got a Medtronic pump. I have  now been on the pump for 6 years. When I was on injections my mum always injected me because I was so young. When I moved onto the pump my mum changed my line for me. I have a really bad phobia of needle so I was so scared of changing my own line, so my mum always did it for me. However it got to the  point where I had to change my line on my own.

At school this year I wanted to go on a school trip where I would by doing a lot of walking and camping for the night at Grafen water. The hospital said I couldn't go on the trip unless I was able to change encase my line got blocked or my line fell out while I was camping. I really wanted to go on the trip however I was so scared of changing my line. I told the hospital I was never going to be able to change my line on my own. My mum told me I had to do it soon or I wouldn't be able to go. All of my friends where going on the trip and it was going to be so fun if I was able to go.

One morning my mum said I had to change my line this morning or I wouldn't be able to go on the trip. I wanted to go so badly that I thought I would try changing my line for the first time ever. I set a new line up and then I went to put the cannula in me but I couldn't do it. I was so scared! I tried again, I put the cannula on my leg making sure it was alright and then I closed my eyes and pushed the buttons to put the cannula into my leg. When I opened my eyes I couldn't believe it, I had done changed my line myself for the first time ever. I showed my mum that I had changed my line myself. She didn't believe me at first, see couldn't believe her eyes. She was so proud of me.

If you are changing your line for the first time or changing sites it's not as bad as you think, I promise. If you don't want to look when you do it you don't have to, just make sure you have put it in the right place before you close your eyes, that's what i do every time I change my own line. After you do it you will be so proud of yourself and you will wonder why you were so scared of doing it. I no you can do it, always remember you are stronger than you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment