Total Pageviews

Sunday 2 February 2014

Injections or Pump

A lot of people find it hard to decided whether they want a injections or a pump, 4-6 injections a day or changing line to pump every 3 days, having nothing attached to you or having something attached to you 24/7. It can be really hard to decide which one. Some people find that the pump controls their levels better but they don't like having it attached to them all the time. Some people find that with injections it fits in better with their everyday life but they find that it takes a lot of time to work out how many units of insulin they need every meal. Everyone is different.

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes I was only 4 years old. I was on injections for 5 years and then I got a pump when I was 9 years old and I have been on the pump ever since. I cant really remember being on injections because I was so young. I know a lot of people struggle to decided if they want injections or a pump so I thought I would write a post all about why people prefer the pump and why people prefer injections but remember what ever you prefer is up to you because people prefer the pump and injections for different reasons.

Some people prefer injections because.......
You only have to inject 4-6 times a day
It only takes a few seconds to inject
You don't have to have something attached to you 24/7
No hassle for sports, baths or showers
No line like the pump does


Some people prefer the pump because......
You only have to change the line to your pump every 3 days
Better control of levels
You can set temp basal so you get more insulin
You don't have to work out how much insulin you need with meals
You can give yourself insulin more easily in public

I personal prefer the pump because my levels are a lot better since being on the pump and I find the pump is a lot more flexible then injections. I can eat whenever I want and I don't have to eat at set times like I used to. Also I prefer the pump because I have a needle phobia (I know it sounds funny) which means with the pump I only have to change my line every 3 day. At first I didn't like having a pump attached to me 24/7 but I have got used to it and hardly notice it is there anymore.

Everyone is different though and we all find different things work better for us. There is no right or wrong answer on whether you want a pump or to have injections, at the end of the day its you who is having to inject everyday or having a pump attached to you all the time. If you ever have any questions about diabetes or just want to chat, you can always leave a comment below or message me on facebook. Always remember you are stronger than you think

 

No comments:

Post a Comment