Total Pageviews

Tuesday 18 February 2014

Bloodcount meter

It can be really hard to find a bloodcount meter that you really like and that works well for you. There are so many meters to choose from. I always found it really annoying that I had to do my bloodcount and then remember what it was and put it in my pump, I would sometimes forget what my levels were and then put it into my pump wrong.

Recently when I was at a hospital appointment this lady in the clinic showed me and my mum the Contour Next Link bloodcount meter. I was already using the Contour Link meter and the Contour Next Link was a newer version of my meter. At first I wasn't really sure about changing meters as I really liked the meter I was using and if I changed meters it would mean having to get new test strips that the new meter used and also it would mean I would have to learn how to use the new meter as all meters work differently.

The lady was explaining to me and my mum what was different between the Contour Link and the Contour Next Link. She said that the Contour Next Link had a USB connection for charging and downloading readings, this meant I wouldn't have to pay for batteries for my meter as it didn't need them and I could also download my meter on to the laptop so that I could  if I had any patterns in my levels. On the Contour Next Link when you tested your levels and they where running high or low the meter would let you know by the colour of the numbers of your levels. For example if your levels were 3.4 the numbers would light up orange as say at the bottom of the screen that your levels would low. You could also set reminders on the Contour Next Link, so if you need to check your levels in an hour because they were running high all you have to do is set a reminder on your pump and it will make a noise to remind your to test your levels. Also on the Contour Next Link you can see how your levels have been trending and tells you your average levels over 14 days.  I really liked the sound of the Contour Next Link so the hospital let me take one home with me to use.

I have now been using the Contour Next Link for about a month and I love it. We did loss the USB led to charge it though so my mum had to ring up the company and they replaced it for me and send me a spare meter too encase I loss the meter or if it brakes. I honestly think the best meters I have ever used are the Contour Next Link and the Contour Link, its so much easier having a meter that links to your pump so that you don't have to remember what your levels were.

I know it can be really hard to find a meter that you really like and that works best for you but there are so many meters I am sure you will find one. If any of you are on a Medtronic pump I recommend you try the Contour Next Link meter or the Contour Link meter.
Always remember you are stronger than you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment