Total Pageviews

Saturday 17 May 2014

Exams

Exams are stressful for everyone but with diabetes on the top of exams it can make it a lot harder and more stressful for us. Stress can make your levels really hard which makes it I lot harder to concentrate in an exams and this could effect you mark and overall grade that you get in the exam. The hospital have told me several times that if I have high levels in an exam my grade will be lower then if I had good levels, however its really hard to make sure your levels are in range while you have an exam. You don't want your levels to be too high or too low but its really hard to get them just right when you are so stressed about the exam.

The last 2 weeks I have had loads exams, the exams are for the teachers to check that you are on target and ready to move in to year 11. I found it really had to keep my levels under control these 2 weeks as on some days when I had exams my levels were running really high but then on other days when I had exams my levels were running nearly low. This has made it harder because I had to try and work out whether I needed a temp basal on when I had an exam.

On Friday last week I had 2 exams in one day, my first exam was a maths exam and my second exam was a ethics exam. On Friday morning before school my levels were running a bit high so I decided to put a temp basal on of 150% and kept checking my levels every hour so that I could give myself correction to try and get my levels down and back to normally. However every time I checked my levels they had either stayed the same or gone even higher. When I got to school I had my maths exam and throughout the who exams I was really struggling to concentrate and work out the answers, even though I had done loads of revision at home before the test I was really struggling to remember how to work out some of the answers because of my levels. When the exam had finished I knew I had done really rubbish because of my levels being high so I was worried about what grade I was going to get.

After break I had my ethics test, throughout the whole of break I was panicking because I couldn't remember any of the information I had revised for ethics so I stood their at break looking over my revision notes before the bell went. Even though I had already revised loads and I was reading over my notes, none of it was going into my head as I felt so ill and couldn't concentrate because of my levels. When I heard the bell go I was panicking so much as it meant the ethics exam was minutes away and I couldn't remember anything, I was going to fail! As I walked into the exam hall I saw that my ethics teacher was standing at the front of the hall so I walked over to her and told her that my levels were running really high and I was really struggling to concentrate and remember the stuff I had revised. I told her that I would try my best at the exam but I probably wouldn't do very well. My teacher said that I didn't look very well and that she didn't want me to do the test as it would be a lot better if I went back to lesson and did the exam another time then having to sit there feeling rubbish and then having to retake the exam because of my grade. So I went to go to the lesson I was meant to be in and then realised that I was meant to be in my ethics lesson with the teacher, so I had to go back and ask her what she wanted me to do as I wasn't meant to be in her lesson. She told me that I could sit and do some move ethics revision and relax in her classroom while she marked some peoples exams. I am so glad I didn't end up doing the ethics exam as I would have done really rubbish and I am so glad I have a really nice teacher who is really understanding and caring.

However my levels aren't always really high when it comes to exams. This Wednesday I had no exams but my levels were running really high so I put a temp basal on of 150% and was checking my levels every hour so that I could make sure they weren't going any high and so that I could keep giving myself corrections to bring my levels down. My levels wouldn't go down even though I was having 50% more insulin then I normally do and I had had loads of corrections. Then on Thursday I woke up with low levels, so I took the temp basal off. I had a English exam and a French exam, so I made sure I checked my levels before the exam encase they were high or low. Before my English exams my levels were 5.6 which was a surprise as I thought they were going to be a lot higher as I was really stressed about the exam. When I can out of the exam I made sure I checked my levels again just encase I needed to give myself a correction or I needed to eat something, when I tested they were 4.0 so I had something to eat. My levels were running in the 5s when I did my French exam which was good.

As you can see exams can make your really high or nearly low so make sure you check your levels before and after an exam and let someone know if your levels are going to affect the grade you will get. Also make sure the people running the exam know that you are diabetic as you might have to go out of the exam if you start to feel like your levels are high or low and need to test. In all of my exams the school has sat me near the door of the exam hall so that I can put my hand up and go out of the exam at anytime to test my levels without distracting other people who are doing the test. Always remember that your health is a lot more important then the exam, so make if you feel like you need to test your levels you tell someone and then go out of the exam hall and test.
Good luck to everyone who has exams coming up!  

No comments:

Post a Comment