Total Pageviews

Thursday 10 April 2014

Summer

The weather has started to getting warmer and people are starting to go swimming more and wearing skirts and shorts. This might seem like a really random thing to talk about but I know I get really self conscious about going swimming and wearing shorts because of my line to my pump. I don't like it being on show to people because I worry about people making fun of me or asking loads of questions about it. I like it when I go out and I can be round people without them asking about my diabetes or worrying about me, also it can be quiet nice being able to go out and people not knowing you have diabetes. Some people might not mind if people can see their pump or line to there pump but I know there are some people out there who are really worried and self conscious about it.

The last time I went swimming on holiday was in America in 2012. At that time I had my line to my pump in my bottom as that was where I got told to put it when I first started on the pump. I kept it there as I don't like changing things (I have no idea why), the thought of changing where my line was scared me. I also couldn't change my line myself either because I have a phobia of needles and I was really scared about changing it myself just encase I did it wrong or it hurt more. The thought of pressing the buttons on the inserter to pump the line in me really scared me, I thought I would never be able to change my line by myself (I have near told anyone that before as I know it probably sounds silly but its true) Anyway as I had my line in my bottom it near really got in the way, when I went swimming or had shorts and skirts on, no one could see my line which made me feel a lot happier wearing shorts and going swimming.

However this year I am going on holiday to Portugal. I can now change my line myself and I always do it in my leg as I find that the easiest place to put my line. However I totally forgot that my line would be on show to people when I go swimming or wear shorts until I went swimming at the local swimming pool this week. I couple of day before I went swimming I did think about what people might say if they saw my line in my leg and what might happen. The thing was I really didn't like people seeing it but I didn't really have a choose if I wanted to go swimming. So I thought that if I may put my line in my stomach instead of my leg it would mean that no one would be able to see my line when I was wearing shorts or a swimming costume however on holiday I normally wear bikini's in the swimming pool which meant my line would still be on show which would make me feel self conscious about going swimming. The thing is I wanted to go swimming so I just had to try and get over my fear of my line being on show.

On Tuesday I went swimming in the local swimming pool, I was really nervous about getting in the pool at first so I made sure as I was walking to the pool I had my towel covering my line as I didn't want anyone else to see it and thing it weird that I am going swimming with it on my leg. Once I had walked over to the pool I put my towel on the seating around the edge of the swimming pool and I made sure my hand was coving my round so that no one saw it. There was a slight problem though because now I had to get into the pool by going down the steps, however I wasn't going to be able to do it one handed. So I had to take my hand away from my line and climb down the stairs (my line was on show to everyone), some people saw my line I think but they never asked me anything about it which was good. It made me feel a bit more confident about my line being on show now. However I did still cover my line with my towel as we were walking back to the changing rooms.

I know that it can make you really nervous having your line to your pump on show to other people however you will be able to do it as I was able to face my fear and go swimming with my line on show. It seems really hard to do at first but I know you will be able to do it because you are stronger then you think. At first I thought everyone was going to look at my line and ask questions about it however I was wrong, none of that happened and because of this I feel a bit happier having it on show. I do still worry about it  but I know it will be ok and get easier the more I have my line on show. Always remember you are stronger than you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment