Total Pageviews

Thursday 17 April 2014

Meeting up

I have always said that I would love to meet other people my age who has diabetes. I talk quite a lot to people my age, younger and older then me who have diabetes on Facebook and on Facebook groups. Some people have helped me so much on there because they have made me realise that I am not alone and that there are loads of other people in the world who are going through the same things as I am. I have made so many friends on the group but one problem is that most of them live no where near me which means we won't be able to meet up in person and go somewhere for the day, we can only talk to each other over Facebook. Even though these people have helped me so much I still really wanted to meet up with someone my age who has diabetes that lives near me so that we could go on days out together, be able to met in person and get to know each other more.

I have been seeing a psychologist for quite a long time now and she has helped me so much. She has shown me that if I put my mind to something and really want to do it, I will be able to. She has also made me realise that I am so much more then diabetes and if I can try and get my levels in range it will make it easier in the future. Also since seeing have I have achieved so much and most people say it's like i am a different person. I am so much more confident and independent. Part of the reason why I started writing this blog was because I wanted to be more like my psychologist and help people by using my own experiences as she has helped me so much. I just wanted to say thank you so much to my psychologist because she has helped me so much and I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for her. 

My psychologist thought it would be a really good idea to start a group where teenagers who had diabetes. The point of the group was so that you could make friends with other people and so that we could all support everyone in the group so that if they were having a hard time they could talk to someone in the group and they would try and help them. The psychologist wasn't really sure what the group should be like and what people would want to do at the group so she decided that she needed some ideas for people who would come to the group so she invited me and two other people to meet her and discuss what we wanted the group to be like. After we met up she set a date for the first met up for the group. To be honest I was a bit nervous about going as there were going to be a lot more people and at first we wouldn't know any of them. 

On Tuesday it was the day when we were all meeting up as a group. When I first got there we sat in a room with all of the teenagers and there parents and then all the teenagers went in to the room next door so that we could do some activities to help us get to know people more while the parents could talk to other parents and get to know them more and also help them if they had any questions. The first activity that the teenagers did was introducing yourself to the rest of the group. We had to say our name and one thing we had done in the Easter holidays. After that we all got given a piece of paper, a pencil and a balloon. We got told to write one thing we would bring to the group or something we liked doing, then we had to fold up the paper and put it inside the balloon, once we had done that we had to blow the balloon up and put the paper on it and tie it. The point of the game was at the end of the group we would pop a balloon and see what it said on the piece of paper and then we would guess who wrote it. I had no idea what to write on the piece of paper though so I ended up sitting there for ages trying to think of something and then my psychologist told me to go and talk to her and she said to me to write that I blog on the piece of paper. I didn't really want everyone knowing I had a blog because then they would want to read it but I ended up putting it on the piece of paper. Next we got told that there were lots of different activities around the room that we could go and do or we could try and come up with a logo and a name for a group. So me and one of the girls say down and tried to come up with a logo and a name. It was nice because while we were doing it we were talking to each other and got to know each other more. At the end of the group we popped the balloons and it was quiet interesting and fun guess who wrote it as we found out a lot about people that we didn't know before. 

Overall I think the group was really good as you got to know people more and it was so nice knowing that you weren't alone and that there are people that live near you that are going through the same thing as you are. Also I met some really nice people while I was at the group and I really can't wait to meet up again. 
If you ever have a chance to go to a group where you will meet other people with diabetes, I would defiantly suggest going.


No comments:

Post a Comment