Total Pageviews

Wednesday 5 March 2014

No different

Having diabetes doesn't make you any different to anyone else. Even though we have to test our levels before we eat and when we don't feel well, inject or put information in your pump before you eat, have a pump attached to 24/7, go to hospital appointments every 3 months.... we are still the same as everyone else.

When I was 6 years old , in year one at primary school, I found it really hard and upsetting because some people at my primary school decided they didn't like me because I have diabetes. One day when I was in year 1 I was lining up outside with my class waiting for the teacher to let us inside. While I was waiting three people in my class came up to me and said "I don't want to be friends with you because you're diabetic" then they just walked off. I had no idea what to do, it wasn't my fault I was diabetic and now no wants to be my friend. They upset me so much. I didn't tell the teacher what they had said to me because she wouldn't have been able to do anything about it. When I got home I went to room and cried about what they had said to me, I wished I wasn't diabetic. I told my mum about what had happened and she wasn't happy, so she rang the school and told them what had happened. The next day at school my teacher spoke to the three people who said they didn't want to be friends with me. They came up to me and said they were really sorry. After that they were really nice to me and never said they didn't want to be friends with me again.

Ever since that happened at Primary school I don't  really tell anyone at school that I have diabetes, only the people that need to know at school know. All my teachers at collage know that I have diabetes just in case I start to feel unwell in class and need to check my levels or things like that and my friends know I have diabetes too because I test my levels a lot while I am round them and so that they can help me if I don't feel well because of my levels. At first I didn't really want anyone at collage to know I had diabetes because I didn't want them to treat me differently or not like me because of my diabetes.

I was thinking about doing a fundraising event to raise money for JDRF and I thought it would be a really fun thing to do. One of my friends at school said that it would be a great idea however it would mean everyone in the school would find out I had type one diabetes. I said to her that it wouldn't matter because most people in the school already know I am diabetic. When I got home I thought about what my friend had said to me and realised most of my year probably knows I have diabetes but the other people in the other years in collage probably don't know. It mad me worry a bit that what happened in primary school wound happen again but I really wanted to raise money for JDRF. So I talked to one of my friends who doesn't have diabetes and doesn't go to the collage about it. They said  to me 'You are no different to me at all, always remember that'  It made me feel so much better after what they said to me and made me realise that I am actually no different to anyone else.

Even though we have diabetes we are no different to everyone else and we shouldn't be treated differently. Diabetes is only one part of us, we are so much more then diabetes so don't let people treat you differently just because you are diabetic. Always remember you are stronger than you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment