Total Pageviews

Sunday 17 November 2013

Life with diabetes

Life with diabetes can be really hard and challenging at times, it can sometimes feel like diabetes is a obstacle that keeps getting in the way of your day to day life which can be really annoying. You can have a day of really good levels and then the next your levels can be really high and you have no idea why. It can sometimes feel like its never ending.

Lots people get confused about what type one diabetes is. So what is type one diabetes?

Type 1 diabetes develops when the insulin-producing cells in the body have been destroyed and the body is unable to produce any insulin.

So what was life like before I was diagnosed with type one diabetes?

 I didn't have to prick my finger 5-8 times a day
 I didn't have to check my levels 5-8 Times a day
 I didn't have to change my line to your pump every 3 days
 I didn't have to stick needle in myself everyday
 I didn't have to work out the carbs in everything I ate
 I didn't have to worry about my levels
 I didn't have to take insulin everyday
 I didn't have to get my levels between 4-8
 I didn't have to correct high levels
 I didn't have to correct low levels
 I didn't have to give myself insulin every time I ate
 I didn't have to check I have enough insulin
 I didn't have to make sure I have enough test strips
 I didn't have to always have my bloodcount on my
 I didn't have  to go to hospital apt every 3 months
 I didn't have to have a hba1c every 3 months
 I didn't have to order supplies 

 I didn't have to know the symptoms of low blood sugar,
 I didn't have to know the symptoms of high blood sugar,
 I didn't have to wear medic alert bracelets
 I didn't have to worry about DKA
 I didn't have to have sore fingers from finger pricks
 
I didn't have to have sore arms, stomach or legs from your line 
 I didn't have to change your own line

 I didn't have to tuck in pump-tubing for fear of it being ripped out
 I didn't have to have a pump attached to you 24/7

 
As you can see I have to do a lot more things now than I did before I had  type one diabetes but it doesn't change who I am. I am still the same person I would have been if I didn't have Type One diabetes, diabetes is only a small part of me.

I know this post isn't like my normal posts but I just wanted to show other people what it is like to live with diabetes and because its diabetes month, I thought I would write a post that would spread awareness of diabetes  

No comments:

Post a Comment